November 17, 2011

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo


If I had to narrow down my favorite noodle toppings, Alfredo, I think, would take the cake.  Ever since I was a kid, I've loved heavy, creamy sauces and would often get alfredo whatever when my family would go out to dinner. 
You know who makes a surprisingly good Alfredo?  Jenny Craig!  It was one of my favorite meals when I was on Jenny - and I've been trying to recreate it every since.  I'm not sure where I read/heard about using cream cheese in the base of the sauce, but it works, and it's delish!  Creamy, cheesy, garlicky, and everything Alfredo should be!
I make this sauce with shrimp, chicken, broccoli and....tofu?!  Yup!  Check out these noodles! 


These babies are 40 calories for the entire pack, so I tend to get Angel Hair to get more bang for your buck.  If you have textural issues, these aren't for you - but I love them, and it saves me a TON of calories with my pasta dishes.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure they'd make a mean stir-fry. The mailman can't stand them, so he gets Ronzoni Smart Taste.  I've made this recipe both ways, so I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!




Ingredients: (makes 2 servings)
8 oz chicken breast
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 tbsp of Pecorino Cheese
4 oz Fat Free Cream Cheese
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp corn starch
as much or as little broccoli as you like
5 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste OR package of Shirataki noodles.  (to lower the calories, add more broccoli and less pasta!)

Bring pot of water to a boil for pasta.   I always add the broccoli in at the end of the pasta cooking time, to save a pot.
If using Shirataki noodles, put them in a microwave safe bowl with clean water and microwave for 2 minutes, drain, add new water and microwave for 1 minute and drain again.
While pasta is cooking, add all ingredients except chicken to a Magic Bullet-type device.  Blend together and set aside. 
Dice up chicken and brown in a skillet.  Add pasta, broccoli and sauce to skillet with cooked chicken.  Simmer until sauce thickens.

With Shirataki Noodles

With Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta


Calories:  435 with pasta, 242 with Shirataki noodles (per serving)
Calories in regular Chicken Alfredo:  Between 650 - 800.

No comments:

Post a Comment