November 14, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup



Happy Monday, UFG'ers! As you may have seen on my Facebook or Twitter, I entered this soup into an office cook-off last week. It didn't go well. Lesson? Never enter a low fat soup against things like Lobster Bisque (which ended up being delicious, yet store bought from Northeast Convenience store Wawa!), Cheddar Ale Soup and other creamy, high fat deliciousness. Don't get me wrong, everyone loved the soup - but it wasn't winning the award. Nonetheless, you'll love it, and by using both potatoes and cauliflower, you're waistline will also love it!

Recipe after the jump:


Loaded Baked Potato Soup (makes 5 servings, 1 cup each)

Ingredients:

2 Russet Potatoes – medium sized
12 oz frozen cauliflower (thawed)
box of chopped broccoli (thawed)
1 glove garlic
1 cup fat free cheese (split into 5 servings)
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1 bunch of scallions, chopped
5 strips turkey bacon (chopped, split into 5 servings)

Pierce with a fork and bake potatoes in microwave for about 8 minutes. Cool and peel both. Dice one potato to keep whole, and one to puree.
In a soup pot, put just enough canola oil to sauté garlic clove. Once sautéed add in milk, chicken broth, cauliflower and one of the potatoes and bring to a boil. Add in sour cream and puree with a hand blender – be sure it’s super smooth! Add half of the chives, broccoli and diced potato. Cook for another 10 mins.



Put one cup of soup in a bowl, top with chives, one serving of the cheese, and one serving of the bacon.




Calories: 149 per serving
Calories in regular Loaded Potato Soup: between 300 - 500 calories

2 comments:

  1. I've been going back to this recipe since you first posted it and finally made it tonight. I love it!! It's so hard to find something my husband AND my 3 year old twins will eat (and that's healthy). I just hope we get another patch of cold weather (in Houston) so I can make it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear! It's definitely a favorite in my household. I have some great recipe's coming up next week so stay tuned!

      Delete