November 07, 2011

UFG Chicken Parm Burgers


Hey UFG fans - it's Two-4 Tuesday!  I got a request from my long-time buddy Amy K for Chicken Parm.  Luckily, I already this little gem in my repertoire.

I had set out to just make and photograph my Chicken Parm Burgers, but realized that this would be the 2nd time I referenced making homemade sauce.  So.. here, my friends, is my sauce!  It's easy, yummy, and can be left on the back burner on low until you're ready to use it!

Ingredients:
28oz No Salt Added Crushed Tomatos
8oz  No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
Chopped Basil (I used Dorot frozen herbs - a lifesaver! 2 cubes)
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Dice onions and garlic.  Put olive oil in pot with basil.  When hot, drop in garlic and onions and let sweat on medium heat - about 10 mins.  Add tomatos and simmer on low for at least 30 mins - I usually put it on the back burner and let simmer for about 45 mins - hour.  Add a dash of sea salt (it's much healthier than table salt or kosher salt!  I use this amazing gray sea salt - I've had this bottle for 2 years, which is how little you need to use.)

Chicken Parm Burgers after the jump!




A note:  I stock up on ground chicken when I can get it on sale.  (note the yellow manager's special sticker!)  That fancy sticker got me $2 off and I bought 3 packs of chicken!  You also can always throw some chicken breasts in the food processor. 
I also found these delish Italian Herb sandwich thins.  Let me tell you, they were YUM!  Just regular wheat sandwich thins are fine too. 

Ingredients:

1lb ground chicken
Homemade sauce
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tblsp Parmesean cheese
1 cube frozen basil (thawed)
1 cube frozen parsley (thawed)
4 1oz slices of part skim mozzarella
4 100 calorie sandwich thins


Mix chicken, basil, parsley, panko, grated cheese and 1 1/2 tbsps of sauce. Divide into four 4oz patties
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray oven safe skillet with non stick cooking spray and brown both sides of chicken patty (about 5 mins per side). Transfer to oven for 15 mins. Top with cheese and a some sauce and return to oven for another 5 mins.

Serve in sandwich thins with a bowl of sauce on the side.  






Calories:  349 with 100 calorie roll, 249 without
Calories in Olive Garden Chicken Parm: 1090

No comments:

Post a Comment