January 06, 2012

Chicken Cheesteaks


Yes!  You read right - CHICKEN CHEESESTEAKS!  Consider it my weekend gift to you, my favorite UFG fans!
The mailman and I have had colds that won't quit for the past month.  We've been trading sicknesses, and now he, with his fancy health insurance,  finally got some antibiotics.  I, with no health insurance (doctors are for babies...and those with full-time jobs), am hoping that I can absorb antibiotic goodness by association.
At any rate - I discovered this raw, shaved chicken at Shop Rite.  They make pork, beef and chicken.  Amazing.  I also discovered whole wheat club rolls by famous east coast bakery Amoroso.  I can't find them often, so you can use whole what hot dog rolls, mini whole wheat pitas, or sandwich rounds as an alternative.
Recipe after the jump - have a great weekend, UFG fans!




Ingredients:
1 package Old Neighborhood Shaved Chicken
Whole Wheat Club Rolls
1 small onion
Weight Watchers Smoked Provolone slices

Each sandwich gets about 2 - 2.5 oz of shaved chicken.  I make one at a time to make sure to get it right.  Slice the onions thin and sweat in a skillet with non stick spray.   Add chicken.  Sprinkle with desired seasonings (I used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute).   While chicken is cooking, slice open an roll and place one slice of cheese in it.  When chicken is done, place chicken and onions in the roll and squeeeeeeze (it will be a tight fit!).  Top with ketchup and enjoy!  
You could also add more veggies - mushrooms, peppers, etc.  Be creative!



Calories:  240 per sandwich
Calories in typical Chicken Cheesesteak: 570

1 comment:

  1. okay now I'm officially hungry for lunch! nice work BB :D

    ReplyDelete