January 20, 2012

Chicken Rolls






Happy Friday, UFG'ers! 
Today, I'm bringing you a UFG version of one of my favorite cheat foods!  When I lived in Brooklyn and was on Jenny Craig, every Saturday I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted.  (I still do this, and it's the key to my success!)
So, almost every Saturday, I would head down the street to the local pizza shop and pick up a Chicken Roll.  Ridculous NY pizza crust, a breaded chicken cutlet, TONS of cheesy goodness - yum! 
This UFG version really brought back some great memories of my time in Brooklyn, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!







Ingredients:
1 5oz boneless skinless chicken breast
frozen broccoli spears - thawed
cheese of choice (I made 2 with Weight Watchers Smoked Provolone and 2 with Weight Watchers Double Cheddar blend - the mailman and I both liked the cheddar best!)
1lb Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (I always use Trader Joes)

Season chicken as desired (I used garlic powder and Italian seasoning blend).  Cut into 4 equal strips (should be a little over 1 oz each).  Brown on each side - almost cooked through.    Break out the dough into 4 equal balls - about 4 oz each.  Roll out on a floured surface.  Add one broccoli spear and one chicken strip into each.  Top with cheese (1/3 cup for double cheddar, 1 slice for smoked provolone).  


Now, here's where I (tried to) get fancy!  Braid the bread around the filling by cutting it into strips and laying them over each other.  Not only will it look nice, but it will also create holes for the steam to come through.  



Spray the tops with non stick cooking spray and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning Blend.  Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until dough is brown and crispy.  Dip in a side of red sauce if desired!



Calories: 370 per roll


2 comments:

  1. Gabby-

    That looks awesome! That's definitely going to be dinner one night next week.

    Keep up the great work,
    -Voorhees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joe!! Hope you and that lovely wife of yours enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete