January 03, 2012

Crock pot Turkey Chili




Happy New Year, UFG Fans!  My resolution?  Get back on track - with this blog and with my armband!  The mailman and I splurged quite a bit over the holiday - and I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be to stay on track! 
In other news, my family welcomed a new addition - my niece,  Helena Joy!   I'm absolutely obsessed with her and can't wait to spend as much time as I can with the newest UFG fan! 


Now, on to today's recipe!  Winter means comfort food - but comfort food doesn't have to mean fat!  This turkey chili will warm and fill you up - without making you feel heavy and full.  I eat it without rice - but you can add brown rice for even more fiber power!
Recipe after the jump!




Ingredients: (makes 6 servings)

1lb Lean Ground Turkey
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 big can of no salt added crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 medium red bell pepper (or any color you'd like)
dried oregano
garlic powder
chili poweder
paprika
ground cumin
(all spices to taste)

Dice the onion and garlic cloves and sweat in a skillet with non stick spray.  When translucent, add turkey and brown.


While turkey is browning, add tomato to crock pot and add spices.  It's all to taste - so have a spoon, and taste as it warms.  I like a lot of cumin and paprika - but it's up to you.  Dice the pepper and add to the tomatoes along with the can of beans.




Once turkey is cooked, add it to the crock pot.  DON'T DRAIN THE FAT!  It will add a lot of flavor!
Put the crock pot lid on and cook on low for 4 hours.   And when it's done, you can top with some fat free sour cream and fat free cheese!


No comments:

Post a Comment