February 27, 2012

Vegetable Soup



Happy Monday!
So - I started this blog so that I can be held accountable and keep it real for myself.  Now's the time to do that.  My 30 Day Challenge?  Not going well.  I'm trying desperately to get my life to slow down - and it just won't!  I woke up Sunday morning and realized I had gotten only 3 days of yoga/pilates in last week. Ugh.  Fingers crossed for this week.

Today's recipe is deeelish.  With my foot out of commission - I've been careful with what I've been eating - so having this for lunch every day really helps my cause.  I really like the flavor that using stewed tomatoes brings.  Be sure to up your spices if you don't have stewed tomatoes - trust me, you need it!

I eat this soup with 2 homemade brown rice cakes that I got from my local farmers market and it's become a favorite lunch for sure!  Recipe after the jump:







Ingredients:
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can no salt added stewed tomatoes
2 celery stalks
3 carrots, peeled
1 tsp rosemary
2 cups cabbage
2 cups Vegetable broth (low sodium if you can find it - I couldn't)
1 cup green beans
2/3 cups frozen peas
10 oz frozen winter mix veggies

Prep work:  chop all vegetables to preferred size.   (This takes awhile - but WORTH it!)




In soup pot, add broth, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic and celery.  Bring to sloooooooow boil.  Add cabbage, green beans and rosemary.  Simmer for 25 minutes.  Add frozen veggies and cook on low for 20 more minutes.



Calories:  500 for entire pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment