February 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi


Happy Monday, UFG'ers!   So, if you've been following my foot drama on my Facebook page, then you know I've not been able to exercise for about a week and a half - and man am I dragging!  Without health insurance, I wasn't able to go to the doctor, but did get a pretty solid diagnosis from my awesome cousin, who's a physical therapist.   Strained ligament, or tendon... or something.  The important takeaway is that it's not a break - so I can work out again - but no jump rope!

Now, on to today's recipe.  It's become a favorite.  Making gnocchi (and learning how to say it correctly!) was a big part of my childhood, so I was so excited to develop this recipe and share it with my father.  I'm sure he'll be critical of the fact that I didn't roll them over a fork, but I think he'll love them! haha.   The mailman and I ate them all before my Dad could try any - but I'll be making these again for him, for sure!
Recipe after the jump!





 (Makes 4 servings)
2 lg sweet potatoes
2.5 cups 100% whole wheat flour
1/3 cup egg beaters
1 large clove, crushed garlic
ground nutmeg to taste
pinch of salt


Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave until soft and mash together with crushed garlic, salt and nutmeg (fresh ground is best).  Add in the egg beaters and thoroughly mix together.   Slowly add the flour - 1/4 cup at a time (this is important!) and mix each cup completely before adding more. 



When all the flour is mixed in , put the ball of dough on a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes to ensure everything is evenly mixed. 
Roll the dough into snakes, about half an inch thick.  Cut into inch peices and add to salted boiling water.



The gnocchi are done when they float to the top.  



I ate mine with a tablespoon of fat free cream cheese, a pinch of dried sage and peas!  So yummy!



Calories: 374 (without any type of sauce)

2 comments:

  1. My heart rate just became elevated due to my excitement over this recipe. I just ate gnocchi last night, but it was packaged. Gah! Totally gonna make your version. I love me a sweet potato, yo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie! I just found your blog the other day and love it! Let me know how they turn out when you make them - I'm always wanting reader feedback :)

      Delete