April 16, 2012

Indian Style Chicken Meatballs






Happy Monday, UFG'ers! 
Recently, my friend Matt spent some time in India.  It's no secret I loooooove Indian food, so he was nice enough to give me some spices that he had brought back with him.  Immediately, I had to look up what it is he had actually given me!
First, Curry Powder - an Indian staple.  I've already made curry egg salad - deeelish!  Second, he gave me a Masala Spice Mix.  This had 3 different packets of spices in it: Chilli Powder, Ground Turmeric, and Ground Coriander - that latter two I had never worked with before. 
After a lot of research, I decided chicken meatballs were the way to go! I ate mine over pureed cauliflower, but the mailman enjoyed his over brown rice.  These are a bit spicy and definitely have a Indian flair to them.  You could even add chickpeas to the sauce to add more protein and fiber!  Enjoy and please comment with your feedback!!









Ingredients: (4 servings)
1lb ground chicken
1 box chopped frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
28 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added if you can!)
Curry Powder
Masala Spice mix (Chilli Powder, Turmeric, Coriander)
1small onion, finely chopped

Combine chicken, spinach, 2 tsp of curry powder and a pinch of garlic powder.  Mix well and form into golf ball size meatballs.  You should get around 18.  Cook at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.


For the sauce, combine diced tomatoes, onion, 1tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp turmeric and 2 tsp coriander.  Sprinkle in garlic powder, and all curry powder to taste (I added about a tsp).  Add meatballs and cover to simmer for about 25 minutes.



Serve over mashed cauliflower or brown rice!

Calories for meatballs and sauce only: 200 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment