April 27, 2012

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes




Happy Friday!  I hope everyone had as wonderful as a week as I've had! I made my first adult purchase - a new car! (well, new to me...)  It was desperately needed, and I'm so excited to finally have a good, reliable car.  Big ups to my bff Megabites Louisville for selling me my now "old" car in a pinch when I moved home to Delaware from NYC 3 years ago!  Enough of that - onto today's recipe.

How about a dessert to start your weekend off right?  How about a 100 calorie pineapple upside down cake?  Yessssss!  These are awesome.  I adapted a tried and true Weight Waters recipe for using Angel Food Cake Mix and a can of crushed pineapple in juice.  Add a maraschino cherry and some sugar free caramel topping and you have a delish pineapple upside down cupcake!  They are enthusiastically Mailman approved, and I hope you like them!
Recipe after the jump!




Ingredients: (makes about 24 cupcakes)
1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
1 20oz can of Crushed Pineapple in JUICE or water (NO SYRUP!)
24 Maraschino Cherries
Smucker's Sugar Free Caramel Sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the pineapple and angel food cake mix in a large bowl - make sure it's a big bowl, because it will expand and bubble!



Spoon the mixture into a lined cupcake tin - it should make around 24 cupcakes, but may make more.  once all the mixture is in the tins, place one cherry per cupcake - they will sink to the bottom - totally fine!



Place in the oven for about 35 mins.  Take out cupcakes and top with a small squeeze of sugar free caramel sauce.  (about a tsp) Place back in the oven for 5-6 more minutes.
Allow to cool before you eat - the caramel sauce gets hot!









Calories: 100 per cupcake
Calories in regular pineapple upside cake: around 350 - 400 per slice

1 comment: