June 22, 2012

Summer Crab Soup


Happy Friday!
First, a little update on moi. I've been diagnosed with tonsillitis.  Bad for my throat - great for my diet! ha!  The Mailman has almost finished the basement and it looks great - hopefully we'll be healthier now that we're not breathing all that mold in anymore!
On to today's recipe.  I live near the Chesapeake Bay - and summer to me means crabs! My cousin has a crab fest every summer, and we sit in their yard picking and eating delish local crabs.  It's THE best.
This is a really light soup - and I'm not someone who minds soup in the summer.  It's chock full of crab and deeelish. It's all about the stock that you use - and I used a superb lobster stock that I had made and stuck in the freezer - so be sure to use a good one! Hope you enjoy!








Ingredients: (4 servings)
3/4 cup chopped scallions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp corn starch
2.5 cups seafood broth or clam juice (I used lobster stock)
2 cups skim milk
2 tsp Old Bay
1 pound crab meat, picked free of shell

Spray the bottom of your soup pot with non stick olive oil spray and add garlic and chopped scallions.  When soft, add more non stick spray and the corn starch.  Heat for about 45 seconds.  Slowly add the broth and the milk and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Add Old Bay and reduce to simmer for about 5 minutes. 

Add crab meat and heat through.  Sprinkle with chopped parsley.



Calories: 185 (overestimating) per laaaaarge serving!


3 comments:

  1. How do you make the lobster stock? I'm guessing there might be seafood stock at the store? Sounds yummy and I'm a total soup person as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kerry!
      I made the lobster stock by simmering lobster shells and legs and claws etc that I had left over after a lobster feast with the mailman! I simmer them with parsley, onions, and garlic. and reduced it a bit to get it really concentrated. I definitely think a low sodium seafood stock would do the trick!

      Delete
  2. Favorite Cousin JillJune 22, 2012 at 8:32 PM

    Nice shout out to your FAVORITE cousin! <3 crab soup. I'll have to get Greg to make this for me :)

    ReplyDelete