July 16, 2012

Dijon Herb-Stuffed Chicken

Happy Tuesday, UFG'ers! The Mailman and I have a big few weeks coming up and I couldn't be more excited.  We're going to the Firefly Music Festival and then vacation with my family up in the Adirondack Mountains for a week! A week of no phone, no tv, no social media....wonderful!

In the wake of all this wonderfulness, I've been feeling a bit down.  I'm lucky to have had a few incredible friends that have stuck around for years.  Rachel is one of them.  Rachel is the person you've always wanted to be.  Not only has Rachel been in my life for 18 years, but her Mom, Karin,  has been in my life as well.  This blog is dedicated to  Karin.  Diagnosed in 2009, Karin is battling colon cancer in the most graceful, amazing way.  Her battle is coming to an end.
Everyone knows it takes a village to raise a child.  I've been lucky enough to have Karin as a part of my village.  I'll forever be grateful and blessed for that.  I don't know if Karin likes roasted chicken - but here's my reasoning for dedicating this particular recipe to Karin:
Roasted chicken, to me, smells like love.  There's no better scent than walking into the house when a chicken is roasting in the oven. It's comfort. It's home.  Karin's house to me, growing up, was just like home.  Karin is and always will be love.

My recipe for Karin after the jump!




Ingredients:
1 whole roasting chicken
Dijon mustard
1 whole onion
6-7 garlic cloves
bunch of herbs (I used basil, parsley and rosemary)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Rinse and clean inside of chicken (you know, gizzards and stuff.. gross).  Stuff chicken with herbs, saving a few for the top, onion and garlic.  Put some herbs underneath the skin of the breast.  Smear skin with dijon, coating the whole chicken.



Put in a roasting pan and roast until done - which depends on the size of your chicken.  Mine took about 50 mins. Baste after about 30 mins.

Let chicken rest for 10 mins under foil, then slice and serve with juice in pan.





DON'T FORGET! Skin = fat.  Peel that ish of before you eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment