February 25, 2013

Chicken Flautas


Happy Monday, UFG'ers! I'm so excited to share this recipe with you this week.  I hope you like spicy food!
I've been looking for an excuse to use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.  I feel like every time I turn on Food Network, they are making something delicious with them!  What I wasn't aware of, is how spicy these things are! Holy cow.  I only used half the can in this recipe - and I cut it with a little bit of lime juice.  However, oh man what a flavor! I put the half of the can that I didn't use in the freezer and can't wait to use it again!
Now, in this recipe - you'll see I call for light sour cream.  Read your labels, my friends! I recently started reading labels and really understanding what is in the food that I buy (it's why I no longer use fat free cheese - holy chemicals!).  Daisy does a great job of doing a light sour cream with just cream and skim milk, as does Friendship and the best, of course, is the Trader Joes.  Your sour cream should have no more than 3 ingredients - cultured cream, skim milk and active cultures. If you start seeing other ingredients that you can't pronounce - put it down.  I have ONE exception to this rule - I'm a girl who loves Laughing Cow cheese wedges and I just can't find an alternative! It's all about moderation, yes?
Recipe after the jump!






Ingredients: (makes 4 servings)
8 Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas
1/2 can Chipotle peppers in adobo
2 medium sized chicken breasts (boneless, skinless of course!)
1/2 onion - sliced thin
4 wedges Laughing Cow Queso Fresco
4 tbsp Light Sour Cream (1 per serving)
4 tbsp Rotel (or diced tomatos with chilis - use the mild one!) - 1 per serving

Cut the chicken into thin strips.  Blend the peppers with a little lime juice to cut the heat into a paste.  Cover the chicken with the paste.  Sautee until cooked.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking dish. 




While the over heat, start putting together the flautas.  On a tortilla, spread half of a Laughing Cow wedge on the bottom.  Place a few pieces of chicken on top, along with a few pieces of onion.  Roll up like a taquito and place into the dish seam side down.  You should end up with 8 flautas.   
Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, until brown on top.  Mix 1 tbsp of sour cream and 1 tbsp of Rotel and top each portion with it (1 serving = 2 flautas).  

This recipe was enthusiastically Mailman approved - so I hope you enjoy!  Please let me know if you've tried them :)


No comments:

Post a Comment